Monday, March 18, 2013

This Ain't Last Year

A year ago on St. Patrick's Day it was 80 degrees. On this year's St. Pat's, it was considerably less than that. Tangerine Boy and I left Duluth on Friday morning and headed north on a cool, cloudy day. We cruised up the Gunflint Trail and set up the canvas tent and wood stove at my favorite out of the way campsite. We then drove to a lake I have passed a thousand times and never fished. Well, Tangerine Boy was game for a new spot and we found ourselves in a nicely plowed parking lot with a shot downhill path to the lake. Tangerine Boy discovered that his fishhouse and gear did not pull very easily. The lake seemed to have very little traffic on it, so there weren't many packed snowmobile trails to follow. So we made a short drag through deep snow and slush to a nice looking, steep point. Our depth checks revealed it was 30 to 35 feet deep, which sounded good to us. Tangerine Boy soon caught a 15" lake trout, but I told him to toss it back, that we could do better. Should have kept my mouth shut. That was the only fish of the day. We made the drag back up the hill and then drove to a local hangout for supper, then went back to the tent for a few laughs around the wood stove.

On Saturday we drove to a lake I have fished several times, and we set up on a proven spot. I never caught a fish or even had a nibble, but Tangerine Boy caught a very nice, 25" lake trout. The wind grew throughout the day and was really whipping at times. It was a chilly walk back to the truck. We had some potato soup for supper.

Sunday was cold and breezy again. Definitely not 80 degrees. We hemmed and hawed about where to fish considering our limited mobility. We decided to give the lake we had fished on Friday a full day's chance. Well, we had action, reeling in five trout, but none were keepers. Maybe it will be a good lake in a few years. It was pretty spot and very quiet. Tangerine Boy saw a deer come off the shore and start across the lake...we were hopeful a wolf pack had chased it onto the lake and that we would finally see a live wolf kill, but alas, the deer just turned around and went back in the woods. It was salmon chowder for supper. The wind switched to the south and grew in intensity in the night and we ended up with a major backdraft from the wood stove. Tangerine Boy woke up to a tent full of smoke...he quickly detached the pipe and got the stove outside. He then got the tent aired out. I...never even woke up.

On Monday morning and we packed quickly in an effort to beat an impending snowfall. We didn't beat it, so it was a slow drive down the north shore, but we made it safely. It was a good trip without the best fishing, but saw some new water. Next adventure will be the last weekend of the month. With all this snow, I don't think the ice will be gone like last year.

Nature Moment: This one will be a favorite...On Saturday night I woke up when Tangerine Boy came back into the tent after peeing. He told me that I should pee too. Sounded good to me, so I went outside and had the most scenic pee of my life...the northern lights covered the entire sky in big waves of color. Spectacular. One of the few times I have seen them when they cover the entire sky to all horizons.

Hubs' Flub: There weren't any screw ups that stood out, so I'll go back in time for this classic...The Colonel, his kid, Gunflint Jones, and I went fishing a few years ago in late October on a rainy day. We left Duluth early in the morning and cruised north, ending up on some forest roads to our chosen lake. When we got out of the truck we discovered that somehow we had left the tailgate of the truck open the entire way. We had so much stuff that I couldn't see it in the rearview mirror. Despite the miles and the bumps, we didn't lose a single item. Lucky.

Quote of the Trip: David Alan Grier, as Teddy Pendergrass, singing on the Adam Carolla Show, "I am gonna ^*&*%%^# your &*%#$## in a granny knot, baby!" I guess you had to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment