Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Tribute to a Dear Friend

I heard the news of Teresa’s passing on my way to a work meeting that took up most of my evening. The impact really didn’t hit me until the meeting was over and I was headed home. When I opened our side door and looked up the stairs my eyes happened focus on the bulletin board where Cameron keeps the photos of nieces and nephews and others when people send them to us. The picture in the center of the board was the one I was looking at…Kurt (Chief Many Little Bottles) and Teresa’s Christmas Card picture. The photo features the Johnson family at their home away from home, Ontario's Crow Lake. Kurt and Teresa, Heather and Michelle, and the girls’ husbands (aka “the two luckiest guys on the planet”), plus the two dogs, were all smiling and obviously happy to be spending time with each other. Underneath the photo were the words Faith, Hope, and Love. Those words summed up Teresa perfectly.

Faith. I admit I don’t know much of Teresa’s spiritual faith except that I know it was strong and has sustained her through the past three years. I do know of another faith she had that I am sure is similar to her spiritual faith-Fishing Faith. I have heard many stories from Kurt around campfires and in fish houses about Teresa’s dedication to and love for fishing. She was the one with the unending confidence that the lake trout (Is there any other fish?) would eventually bite. I saw the best example of her fishing faith firsthand. Our crew held a couples weekend up at Gunflint Lake one winter. The fishing was slow, or more accurately, non-existent. One by one, the other anglers gave up and headed off for other activities. A few of us stayed at it, with Teresa being the only woman to stick it out. Late in the afternoon I gave up and drifted off for a nap. I was awakened by a whoop. I looked out my fish house door to see Teresa fighting a fish on a tip-up line. Now, Teresa was not known for her athletic talent, but I swear she jumped three feet in the air when that lake trout came through the hole. It was our only trout of the day. She had faith. It is that same faith within Kurt, Heather, Michelle and all of Teresa’s loved ones that will keep us all moving forward toward better days ahead.

Hope. Teresa was an example for all of us. Despite handling two blonde kids and one larger, Finnish one; despite having debilitating headaches; despite gaps in time between her educational endeavors; she went to pharmacy school, graduated and got a job as a pharmacist. The odds were stacked against her, but she worked hard and became an inspiration to us all. She gave us hope for any risks we want to take, for any dream we finally follow. She continues to give us hope.

Love. This is the attribute we know Teresa for the most. While she had faith and gives us hope, we will never forget her love. She held family first and Heather and Michelle were her joy. Her pride shown easily when discussing their accomplishments and she cherished their company. I always laughed when they were together…Hey there’s Teresa and the two mini-Teresa’s. Your mom will live on in you forever. It is Teresa and Kurt’s love for each other that we all admire. Peas and Carrots. Partnership. Fun. Dedication. Meant for each other. I always looked at your marriage as an example for my own. Her love will always be there for you.

Faith. Hope. Love. Teresa Ann Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment