Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sorry for the Lapse...Here are Some Reports...Including Alaska


To my many fans...sorry I have been lax in posting, it has been a busy six months. I'll be better about posting as the winter season progresses. Here are some reports from late in 2012...

In August, we had the adventure of a lifetime as Awesome Wife and I left Super Kid with my folks and met my in-laws in Alaska. We spent 8 days on the Nepenthe, a 60 foot boat out of Sitka. It was just the 6 of us, the Captain, and a cook. The trip was perfect, as we lucked out with great weather and unbelievable wildlife encounters. We toured the southeast Alaskan mountains, channels, waterfalls, hot springs, and villages. We got up close to bears, whales, Orcas, porpoises, sea lions, sea otters, and more. We met a few true Alaskan characters and, of course, caught some fish. I hooked into coho, chum, and pink salmon as well as rockfish and other smaller species. We ate several of the catch right on board. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I suggest you go to the following sites to see video slideshows:

Short, Scenic Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oar_z69nbVY

Longer, More Informative Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_SOvcONsc0

I recommend Captain Mike and the Nepenthe to anyone wanting an intimate, real experience in southeast Alaska at a price that is more affordable than nearly any other tour boat in the area. Go to: http://alakadventures.com/

September ended with a traditional trip to the Gunflint area in Cook County, Minnesota, for a little lake trout fishing. Unfortunately, that is just what I found...small lake trout. I was joined by Captain K and his son, and we did have a lot of fun with good weather.

In October I went with several of the gang to the Chief's remote cabin. We had snow and unseasonably cold temps, so fishing was not a primary activity, but we did catch some northern pike. We also test fired some guns, checked out deer stands, and the Colonel resurrected the camp's cast iron cookware. It was a fun, relaxing time.

November brought house projects and family events, but I did get out in December. Early December found me camping solo with the canvas tent and wood stove at a walleye/perch lake, but a snowstorm drove me home before finding the fish. I rung in New Year's in the tent as well, ice fishing just north of Duluth and enjoying the wood heat in a cold snap. I caught a few decent walleyes among many tiny ones and my friend who joined me for a day caught a 15" crappie. It was a fun time and being able to drive the truck on the lake made it easy to camp on the island.

Watch for more reports soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment